By Brian W. Shaffer
- Covers a variety of authors from Samuel Beckett to Salman Rushdie
- Provides readings of key novels, together with Graham Greene’s ‘Heart of the Matter’, Jean Rhys’s ‘Wide Sargasso Sea’ and Kazuo Ishiguro’s ‘The continues to be of the Day’
- Considers specific subgenres, resembling the feminist novel and the postcolonial novel
- Discusses overarching cultural, political and literary developments, equivalent to monitor variations and the literary prize phenomenon
- Gives readers a feeling of the richness and variety of the radical in this interval and of the power with which it is still discussed
Read or Download A Companion to the British and Irish Novel 1945 - 2000 (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Similar literary criticism & theory books
. Taming Wild suggestions brings jointly formerly unpublished works from diverse classes of Bion's existence that are associated, as Parthenope Bion Talamo says in her advent, via the idea that of classifying and conceptualizing notion. the 1st paper, "The Grid", dates from 1963 and is a dialogue of serious readability approximately considered one of Bion's such a lot widely-used conceptual instruments; it predates his extra discursive paper of a similar identify (published in Papers) through numerous years.
Entre 1967 y 1997, George Steiner escribió para the recent Yorker más de one hundred fifty artículos y reseñas sobre gran variedad de asuntos, haciendo que rules difíciles y temas poco familiares resultaran atrayentes no sólo para los intelectuales, sino también para el «gran público». A Steiner le interesan tanto los angeles Inglaterra de l. a. Segunda Guerra Mundial, el búnker de Hitler y el mundo caballeresco como Céline, Bernhard, Cioran, Beckett, Borges, Chomsky, Brecht o el historiador-espía Anthony Blunt.
Seminar paper from the 12 months 2009 within the topic English Language and Literature stories - Literature, grade: 2,0, college of Würzburg, language: English, summary: In Kazuo Ishiguro´s The continues to be of the Day the 1st individual narrator Stevens, a butler at the verge of retirement, undertakes a trip to satisfy – for what's most probably the final time of their lives – his former coworker and love curiosity pass over Kenton.
Compliment for the sooner edition:“Students of recent American literature have for a few years grew to become to 15 smooth American Authors (1969) as an crucial consultant to major scholarship and feedback approximately twentieth-century American writers. In its new form—Sixteenth glossy American Authors—it will stay quintessential.
- National Plots: Historical Fiction and Changing Ideas of Canada
- Liminality and the Short Story: Boundary Crossings in American, Canadian, and British Writing (Routledge Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Literature)
- Modern American Counter Writing: Beats, Outriders, Ethnics (Literary Criticism and Cultural Theory)
- TWO LETTERS... And Counting! (Essential Drama Series)
- The Darkness of the Present: Poetics, Anachronism, and the Anomaly (Modern & Contemporary Poetics)
- Reassessing John Buchan: Beyond the Thirty Nine Steps
Extra info for A Companion to the British and Irish Novel 1945 - 2000 (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)
A Companion to the British and Irish Novel 1945 - 2000 (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) by Brian W. Shaffer